Prep Time: 25 min Cook Time: 25 Serves: 4 Difficulty: Easy
1 1⁄2 pound(s) uncooked eggplant(s) (1 large)
2 large egg white(s)
2 Tbsp canned tomato paste
2 Tbsp water
1 cup(s) whole wheat breadcrumbs, Italian-seasoned
1⁄4 cup(s) grated Parmesan cheese, preferably finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
4 spray(s) cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Trim and peel eggplant. Cut off a thin sliver of the rounded sides so eggplant can sit flat (reserve for another use). Cut eggplant lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick slices; cut each slice into 1/2-inch-thick sticks and then slice each stick in half again (you should have 48 fries).
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together egg whites, tomato paste and water. In another shallow bowl, combine breadcrumbs and cheese.
- Dip each eggplant fry into egg white mixture and turn to coat; gently shake off excess. Next, place in breadcrumb mixture and turn to coat; place on prepared pan and repeat with remaining ingredients (make sure fries do not touch or overlap).
- Coat fries with cooking spray and bake until brown and crunchy, about 25 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack and cool for a few minutes.
- Serving size: 12 fries.