WW Science Center | WW USA
Welcome to the WW Science Center
Where true behavioral change begins.
The health and wellness-sphere is loaded with fads, trends, and fake news. The WW Science Center is the antidote to all that. We are, and always will be, rooted in nutrition and behavior change science. And we use this research—along with expert insight—to help members build life-changing habits and reach their weight-loss and wellness goals.
As science evolves, so do we! That’s why we’re excited to introduce our most individualized program yet: the NEW! PersonalPoints™ Program.
Get to Know Our PersonalPoints™ Program
With WW’s new PersonalPoints Program, members receive a personalized plan designed specifically for them by our nutrition experts—no two plans are the same!. And “personalized” isn’t just a buzzword. Research has proven that individualized approaches lead to greater engagement and greater weight loss than a one-size-fits-all approach.
“After working in this field for over 30 years, I’ve seen countless ideas about how to make losing weight easier and more sustainable, but I have never seen something like this new program.” —Dr. Gary Foster, Ph.D., WW Chief Scientific Officer
How the NEW PersonalPoints Program works:
- Science, simplified. We use the latest nutritional research to guide members toward a healthier pattern of eating, nudging them toward foods that are higher in healthy fats, fiber, and protein and lower in added sugars and saturated fats. An updated food algorithm distills calories and complex nutrient data down to one number—a food’s PersonalPoints value—to make eating healthier easier.
- PersonalPoints tailored for real life. When members join WW, they answer a series of questions designed by our nutrition and behavior change experts to help us understand which foods they love most and reach for often. They’ll then receive a PersonalPoints Budget and ZeroPoint™ foods list (foods members don’t need to track) that’s customized to the foods they love.
- For the first time ever, members can add Points! Behavior change science tells us that when we receive positive reinforcement for doing something, we’re more likely to repeat it. And repetition is what creates habits. To encourage good-for-you habits, WW’s PersonalPoints Program features a first for the weight-loss industry as a whole: Members’ Budgets now grow when they eat non-starchy veggies, drink water, and get active.
- Support that goes beyond the scale. The program also helps members move more, shift to a healthier mindset, and sleep better. Our award-winning app is packed with helpful tools and resources, including 24/7 live Coaching sessions, on-demand meditations and expert-led workouts, 5-minute Coaching audio lessons, strategies to improve sleep, and more.
How WW Experts Developed the New Program
To deliver on our mission is to help members develop healthy habits—and ensure that only the best programs reach our members—WW experts spent over two years rigorously testing the new program with more than 6,000 members across the globe. Here's how:
- WW’s dedicated Science team researched the latest in nutrition and behavior change principles to better understand what might make a member’s journey easier.
- Using those learnings, we updated our Points formula and created individualized plans that are attune to how people really live.
- WW then tested our new program with members to get their feedback, followed by a 6-month clinical trial with over 150 participants conducted by independent researchers at the University of Connecticut.
WW’s Commitment to Science and Efficacy
Since 1963, WW has been rooted in science. Today, the WW program is guided by our Science team—a 12-person-strong group of innovators, including psychologists, registered dietitians, behavioral scientists, and other experts. The team regularly partners with universities to conduct clinical research.
Because of this commitment, WW is one of the few programs that fulfills all of the criteria that expert panels deem necessary in order for behavioral lifestyle weight-loss interventions to be effective.1, 2 These panels include the United States Preventive Task Force, The Obesity Society, the American College of Cardiology, the American Heart Association, UK National Institute for Health and Care Excellence, and the Australian Government’s National Health and Medical Research Council.
That’s not all: Over the past five decades, more than 125 published papers and randomized controlled trials have examined the efficacy and impact of the WW program. WW is the #1 doctor-recommended weight-loss program according to a new survey of 14,000 doctors†. And for the past 11 years, WW has been named the #1 Best Diet for Weight Loss by U.S. News & World Report.
Significant & Effective Weight Loss
In numerous randomized, controlled studies, WW was found to be more effective for sustained weight loss—defined as 6 to 12 months—compared to:
- Physician counseling: WW is 2 times more effective for weight loss than physician counseling.4
- Professionally delivered program: WW is 3 times more effective in producing 10 percent weight loss than professionally delivered programs.5
- Other commercial programs: Out of 141 commercial and proprietary weight-loss programs, WW was identified as one of two programs clinicians should prioritize for referral due to our sustained weight loss and cost-effectiveness.6
Additionally, WW has been evaluated and found to be effective for chronic health conditions, such as :
- Prediabetes—WW is 27 times more effective for weight loss than a self-initiated program and produced greater improvements in glucose control in those with prediabetes.7
- Type 2 diabetes—WW is 2 times as effective for weight loss than standard diabetes nutrition counseling and education, and produced greater improvements in glucose control in those with type 2 diabetes.8