Whether you’ve got prediabetes or type 2 diabetes, it’s important to have a well-balanced diet. Weight Watchers and the SmartPoints® plan can help with that, but here are the basics:
- Eat a variety of foods, including veggies, whole grains, non-fat dairy, healthy fats, and lean proteins.
- Try to stay in control of portions. This is a tough one, but we can help!
- Try not to eat too much of any one type of food.
- Space meals evenly.
- Never skip meals.
Limit your intake of carbs and starchy veggies. Not sure what to look for? Here’s a list when you grocery shop:
- Go easy on starchy vegetables (like potatoes, plantains, parsnips, pumpkin, squash, beans, peas, lentils, legumes, and corn) and increase non-starchy veggies (like lettuce, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumber, spinach, mushrooms, onions, peppers and tomatoes)
- Choose lean protein (skinless chicken or turkey, lean ground beef, fish, shellfish, egg whites, lowfat/nonfat dairy, tofu)
- Grab whole grains (look for items like wild rice, brown rice, quinoa, oats, millet, buckwheat noodles)
- Go for fresh fruit
Get more info about what to eat at diabetes.org.