Food & nutrition
Potato farls and poached eggs
Published 16 December, 2015
5 SmartPoints® per serving
- Cut the potatoes into 1 cm slices and place them in a saucepan. Cover with water, bring to the boil and cook for 12–14 minutes, or until tender. Drain well and return to the pan. Stir for 1 minute over a low heat to remove any excess moisture. Turn off the heat and crush the potatoes. Leave to cool for 10 minutes and then mash until smooth. Add the flour, nutmeg and mustard and mash again.
- Line a board with cling film. Shape the potato mixture into a ball and gently press into an 18–20 cm circle on the cling film. Cut into 8. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and mist with the cooking spray. Slide the farls into the pan and cook for 3–4 minutes, or until deep golden. Using a plate or a board, invert the pan and cook the farls on the other side for a further 3–4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grill the tomatoes for 5 minutes, or until soft. Bring a large, deep frying pan of water to the boil and carefully crack the eggs into it. Leave for 2–3 minutes to poach at a gentle simmer. Drain and trim any straggly bits.
- Top the farls with some grilled tomatoes and a soft poached egg.
- Sprinkle over the parsley and serve.