Cuban Inspired Quinoa and Chicken Salad
As part of #WomanKind Cerys from Rainy Day Mum created a healthy dinner recipe.
Serves: 4 Cook Time: 25 minutes Based on serving 4,
7 SmartPoints per serving, 28 per recipe
4 Chicken Breast
Abode Seasoning Spice Mix
1 tsp Garlic Salts
1 ½ tsp Onion Salts
1 ½ tsp Dried Oregano
Ground Black Pepper (to taste)
1 tsp Mild Chilli Powder
1 tsp Paprika
Salt (to taste)
1 ½ tsp Ground Cumin Powder
Healthy meals that the kids and I enjoy together can be difficult - they are not big fans of meat especially when there is little flavour to them so making sure that healthy meals have flavour is essential. They and I are too keen on lots of spices but we do love the taste of Latin American food - from my travels before kids I discovered Cuban food which has flavours but it isn’t too spicy. We also last year discovered quinoa - yes we are slightly behind on times but both of the kids like it in small quantities as long as it also has some flavours. This simple meal which can be served cold can be cooked in advance and stored in the fridge.
- Mix up the spices together and put in an empty spice jar - you will need 2 tsp’s per chicken breast for a delicate flavour add more for a stronger flavour
- Make up the quinoa according to pack instructions
- To the water add lemon juice and a stock cube this will add a little flavour to the quinoa that can be bland otherwise - cook according to the packet instructions
- Place the chicken in an oven proof dish, cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes until cooked. Once cooked remove from the oven and allow to cool
- Drain the quinoa and fluff up.
- Serve with tomatoes and other salad if you wish