Chicken Sausage, Mushroom, and Pasta Casserole
Uncooked whole wheat pasta
12 oz, rotini (about 3 cups)
Extra virgin olive oil
Grated Parmesan cheese
Cooked chicken sausage(s)
½ pound(s), Italian-style, thinly sliced
Uncooked bell pepper(s)
1 item(s), medium, yellow variety, thinly sliced
1 medium, chopped
1 pound(s), or white variety, sliced
Store-bought marinara sauce
Shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 9 x 13-inch baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Cook rotini according to package directions. Drain in colander and return to pot.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add panko; reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring often, until golden, about 4 minutes. Transfer to small bowl; stir in Parmesan and oregano. Set aside. Wipe skillet clean.
- Put sausage in skillet and cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to plate and drain off any fat from skillet. Add bell pepper and onion to skillet; cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until vegetables start to brown and soften, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and water; cook, stirring, until mushrooms are softened, about 8 minutes.
- Add vegetables, sausage, and marinara to rotini; stir until mixed well. Spoon into prepared baking dish and sprinkle with mozzarella and reserved panko mixture. Bake until heated through and cheese is melted, about 25 minutes.
- Per serving: 1 1/2 cups