- 5 spray(s) cooking spray
- 2 cup(s), chopped uncooked onion(s)
- 1 small jalapeño pepper(s), seeded and minced
- 4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp bay leaf
- 5 cup(s) fat free vegetable broth
- 3 cup(s) water, or more as needed
- 8 cup(s) canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
- 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup(s) fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp lime zest, finely grated
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped (for garnish)
Coat a large soup pot with cooking spray; set over medium heat. Add onion and jalapeno; cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 5 minutes. Add cumin, oregano, garlic and bay leaf; cook, stirring a few times, 1 minute.
Stir in broth, water and beans; increase heat to high to bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, simmer, covered, stirring a few times, until beans are very tender, 20 -30 minutes; stir in 3 Tbsp lime juice and 2 tsp salt. (Add more water as needed if pot seems dry or to thin soup at end.)
Meanwhile, make to make lime cream, stir together yogurt, 1 tsp lime juice, lime zest and ¼ tsp salt.
Serve soup topped with lime cream; garnish with cilantro.
Serving size: about 1 c soup with 1 Tbsp lime cream
- If you prefer to cook your own beans, that’s fine. Add the beans with the broth, cook, covered, stirring every 20 minutes, until beans are very tender, about 2 hours.