Turkey with maple & orange glaze
Whole Turkey (weighed without bone), raw
Chicken stock cube(s)
1 cube(s), to make 375 ml stock
Calorie controlled cooking spray
4 spray(s), olive oil variety
Low Fat Spread
1 zest(s) of 1, finely grated
Freshly squeezed orange juice
1 tablespoons, level
- Preheat the oven to 160°C, fan 140°C, gas mark 3. Set a wire rack over a large flameproof baking dish.
- Discard the turkey neck and giblets then rinse the bird under cold running water. Pat the skin and inside the cavity dry using kitchen paper. Spoon the stuffing into the cavity then tie the legs together using kitchen string.
- Put the 4kg turkey, breast side up, on the rack, pour 375ml stock into the dish below and add the rosemary. Mist the turkey with cooking spray, season well and cover loosely with kitchen foil. Roast for 2 hours.
- Remove the turkey from the oven and increase the temperature to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas mark 6. Put the spread, maple syrup, orange zest and juice in a microwave-safe jug and cook on high for 30 seconds, until the spread is melted. Remove the foil from the turkey and brush over the maple glaze. Return the turkey to the oven and roast, uncovered, for a further 20-25 minutes until the skin is golden brown and the juices run clear when the thickest part of the thigh is pierced with a skewer.
- Transfer to a serving platter, cover loosely with kitchen foil and set aside to rest for 20 minutes before carving. Serve 125g turkey per person. If you’re making the gravy recipe below, strain the pan juices, reserving 2 tbsp of the liquid.