White bean pita burgers with yogurt-tahini sauce
Canned cannellini beans
15 oz, (white kidney), rinsed and drained
Whole wheat Panko breadcrumbs
1 medium, finely shredded
3 Tbsp, chopped flat-leaf
Plain fat free Greek yogurt
6 Tbsp, (1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons)
Fresh lemon juice
1 medium clove(s), minced
Whole wheat pita(s)
4 small, 6-inch, halved
8 leaf/leaves, or romaine,
8 slice(s), heirloom variety
½ item(s), cut into 4 wedges
- Place beans in large bowl. Using potato masher or fork, coarsely mash beans. Add panko, carrot, parsley, egg, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon of cumin, coriander, and cayenne and stir to combine. Shape mixture into 8 small patties.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add patties and cook, turning once, until lightly browned, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make sauce, whisk together yogurt, water, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, remaining 1 teaspoon oil, remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon cumin in small bowl.
- Line pita breads with lettuce leaves; fill with burgers and tomato slices. Drizzle with sauce. Serve with lemon wedges.
- Per serving: 2 filled pita halves and 1/4 cup sauce.