Western Burgers with Grilled Fennel and Spiced-Up Ketchup
- Total Time
low sodium ketchup½ cup(s), no-salt-added variety
red wine vinegar4 tsp
garlic clove(s)1 large clove(s), minced
red pepper flakes¼ tsp, 1/8- 1/4-tsp
basil2 Tbsp, chopped fresh
uncooked ground bison1 pound(s), grass-fed
uncooked fennel bulb(s)1 medium, sliced
grated Parmesan cheese3 Tbsp
light hamburger roll(s) or bun(s)4 item(s), whole wheat variety, split
romaine lettuce80 gm, 8 small leaves
cooking spray1 spray(s)
- Spray grill rack with nonstick spray. Preheat grill to medium-high or prepare medium-high fire.
- Meanwhile, to make spiced-up ketchup, combine ketchup, vinegar, garlic, and pepper ﬂakes in small saucepan; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in basil.
- Shape bison into 4 (½-inch-thick) patties.
- Place fennel on grill rack and grill, turning occasionally, until lightly charred and tender, about 8 minutes. Transfer to plate. Place patties on grill rack and grill 4 minutes. Turn and sprinkle evenly with Parmesan. Grill burgers until instant-read thermometer inserted into side of burger registers 160°F, about 4 minutes longer. Transfer burgers to plate. Place buns, cut side down, on grill rack and grill until lightly toasted, about 1 minute.
- Place bottoms of buns on 4 plates. Top each with one-fourth of fennel, 1 burger, one-fourth of ketchup, and 2 lettuce leaves. Cover with tops of buns.
- Per serving: 1 garnished burger