- 1 large sweet red pepper(s), cored and quartered
- 15 oz canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium clove(s) garlic clove(s), smashed
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 8 slice(s) reduced-calorie whole wheat bread, toasted
- 1/2 small English cucumber(s), thinly sliced
- 1 cup(s) fresh spinach, baby variety
- 1/2 medium avocado, thinly sliced
Preheat broiler. Place pepper quarters on a rimmed baking sheet, skin-side up; broil 5 minutes. Rotate pan; broil until skin is blackened and blistered, about 3 to 5 minutes more. Transfer peppers to a bowl; tightly cover. Let peppers steam until cool enough to handle, about 10 to 15 minutes; remove skin with your hands and cut pepper quarters into strips.
Place beans, garlic, lemon juice, oil, cumin and salt in bowl of a food processor; process until smooth.
Spread about 1/4 cup bean mixture on each of 4 slices toast; top each with 1/4 of roasted pepper, cucumber and spinach. Spread avocado onto remaining slices toast; top sandwiches with toast and serve.
Serving size: 1 sandwich.
- Both the roasted pepper and the bean spread can be made up to three days ahead and refrigerated.Add thinly sliced grilled chicken breast or turkey for meat-lovers (any additions could affect the SmartPoints value).