Ultimate Bacon Cheeseburger
- Total Time
The addition of mushrooms to the burger patties adds great moisture to otherwise dry lean ground beef.
dried porcini mushrooms1 oz, sliced
Bacon center cut, uncooked8 slice(s)
uncooked 95% lean ground beef1 pound(s)
cremini mushroom(s)6 oz, finely chopped
uncooked red onion(s)½ small, grated
kosher salt1 tsp, divided
black pepper¼ tsp
cooking spray4 spray(s)
WeightWatchers Cheese, cheddar, shredded, low fat15 Tbsp, sharp variety
fresh tomato(es)4 slice(s), 3/4-inch-thick
light hamburger roll(s) or bun(s)4 item(s), toasted
boston lettuce4 leaf/leaves
- In a small bowl, combine porcini mushrooms and enough hot water to cover; let stand until mushrooms soften, 15 minutes. Transfer mushrooms to sieve; rinse well, pat dry, then chop.
- Meanwhile, microwave 4 slices bacon on High in a single layer between paper towels until bacon is partially cooked but still flexible, 30 seconds; drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining 4 slices bacon; cool.
- In a large bowl, fold together beef, both types of mushrooms, onion and 1/2 tsp salt; shape into four 3 1/2-inch patties and season with 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper.
- Crisscross 2 strips bacon across each patty, tucking the ends underneath.
- Off heat, coat a grill rack (or large grill pan) with cooking spray; heat to medium-high heat. Add burgers, bacon ends down; cook, flipping once, until internal temperature reaches 160°F, about 6 minutes per side. Sprinkle a scant 1/4 c cheese over each burger; cover until melted, about 30 seconds.
- Sprinkle tomato slices with remaining 1/4 tsp salt. Place 1 burger on each bun bottom; top each with a tomato slice, lettuce leaf, onion slice (optional) and bun top.
- Serving size: 1 burger