Turkey Breast Roulade with Apple, Corn Bread and Sausage
- Total Time
Ask your butcher to butterfly and pound the turkey for you.
olive oil1 Tbsp, divided
fresh apple(s)1 medium, Gala variety, peeled, finely chopped
uncooked celery1 rib(s), medium, finely chopped
uncooked onion(s)½ cup(s), chopped, yellow variety, finely chopped
kosher salt⅞ tsp, divided
sweet Italian sausage5 oz, casing removed
rosemary1 Tbsp, fresh, finely chopped
cornbread3 ½ oz, prepared/store-bought, crumbled (about 1 cup)
fresh parsley2 Tbsp, flat-leaf, finely chopped
maple syrup2 Tbsp, high quality
black pepper⅛ tsp, freshly ground, or to taste
uncooked boneless skinless turkey breast2 pound(s), butterflied and flattened to 1/2-inch thickness
- In a large skillet with lid, heat 1 tsp oil over medium heat. Add apple, celery, onion and 1/8 tsp salt. Cook, covered, stirring once or twice, until mixture is tender, 8-10 minutes. Add sausage and rosemary; continue cooking (uncovered), stirring occasionally and breaking up sausage into small bits with a wooden spoon, until sausage is cooked through, 5-7 minutes more. Remove pan from heat; stir in corn bread, parsley, maple syrup, 1/2 tsp salt and generous pinch pepper. Transfer to a large plate to cool.
- Lay turkey breast flat and season with 1/4 tsp salt and generous pinch pepper. Spread corn bread filling on top, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Starting at one long side, roll up turkey jelly-roll style, and secure with kitchen twine if necessary. (Roulade can be prepared 1 day ahead; cover and refrigerate.)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF with rack in middle. Drizzle remaining 2 tsp oil over roulade; roast until thermometer inserted into thickest part registers 165ºF, 40-45 minutes.
- Remove roulade from oven; transfer to a cutting board and let rest at least 15 minutes. Slice crosswise into 8 thick or 16 thin pieces; serve.
- Serving size: 1 thick slice or 2 thin slices