Super Creamy Mac and Cheese
- Total Time
Pureed cauliflower and carrots add wonderful creaminess to the sauce in this lightened up version of mac and cheese.
salted butter1 tsp
panko breadcrumbs⅓ cup(s)
grated Pecorino Romano cheese2 Tbsp
uncooked cauliflower1 head(s), large, (2 lbs)
uncooked carrot(s)4 medium, thinly sliced
fat free reduced sodium vegetable broth1 cup(s)
Weight Watchers Reduced fat whipped cream cheese spread¼ cup(s)
Dijon Mustard1 ½ tsp
Weight Watchers Reduced fat Mexican style blend shredded cheese½ cup(s)
Gruyère cheese1 ½ oz, shredded (1/4 cup)
table salt1 tsp
hot pepper sauce¼ tsp
uncooked macaroni8 oz
cooking spray2 spray(s)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Bring a large saucepot of salted water to a boil.
- Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium heat; add panko and cook, stirring occasionally, until toasted, 4 minutes. Transfer to small bowl and let cool; stir in Pecorino and set aside.
- Cut 3 cups small florets from cauliflower; set aside. Cut remaining cauliflower (including stem) into 2-inch pieces. Add cauliflower pieces and carrots to boiling water; cook until very tender, 10–12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine broth, cream cheese, mustard, 1/4 c Cheddar, Gruyère, salt and pepper sauce in a large blender. With a large slotted spoon, transfer cooked vegetables to blender; puree into a creamy sauce.
- Add pasta to same pot of boiling water; cook half the time of package directions, adding reserved cauliflower florets during last minute of cooking. Drain pasta and cauliflower; return to pot and stir in pureed sauce.
- Coat a 2 1/2-quart shallow baking dish with cooking spray; spoon pasta mixture into prepared pan in an even layer. Sprinkle dish with remaining 1/4 c Cheddar and reserved crumb mixture; bake until golden on top, 25–30 minutes.
- Serving size: 1 c