Super Creamy Mac and Cheese
- Total Time
Pureed cauliflower and carrots add wonderful creaminess to the sauce in this lightened up version of mac and cheese.
salted butter1 tsp
panko breadcrumbs⅓ cup(s)
grated Pecorino Romano cheese2 Tbsp
uncooked cauliflower1 head(s), large, (2 lbs)
uncooked carrot(s)4 medium, thinly sliced
fat free reduced sodium vegetable broth1 cup(s)
WW Whipped cream cheese spread¼ cup(s)
Dijon Mustard1 ½ tsp
WeightWatchers Reduced fat Mexican style blend shredded cheese½ cup(s)
Gruyère cheese1 ½ oz, shredded (1/4 cup)
table salt1 tsp
hot pepper sauce¼ tsp
uncooked macaroni8 oz
cooking spray2 spray(s)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Bring a large saucepot of salted water to a boil.
- Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium heat; add panko and cook, stirring occasionally, until toasted, 4 minutes. Transfer to small bowl and let cool; stir in Pecorino and set aside.
- Cut 3 cups small florets from cauliflower; set aside. Cut remaining cauliflower (including stem) into 2-inch pieces. Add cauliflower pieces and carrots to boiling water; cook until very tender, 10–12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine broth, cream cheese, mustard, 1/4 c Cheddar, Gruyère, salt and pepper sauce in a large blender. With a large slotted spoon, transfer cooked vegetables to blender; puree into a creamy sauce.
- Add pasta to same pot of boiling water; cook half the time of package directions, adding reserved cauliflower florets during last minute of cooking. Drain pasta and cauliflower; return to pot and stir in pureed sauce.
- Coat a 2 1/2-quart shallow baking dish with cooking spray; spoon pasta mixture into prepared pan in an even layer. Sprinkle dish with remaining 1/4 c Cheddar and reserved crumb mixture; bake until golden on top, 25–30 minutes.
- Serving size: 1 c