- 2 1/2 pound(s) uncooked winter squash, spaghetti variety
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 small uncooked onion(s), chopped
- 1 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), minced
- 1/2 cup(s) uncooked broccoli, florets
- 1/4 cup(s) yellow pepper(s), chopped
- 1/4 cup(s) sweet red pepper(s), chopped
- 1/4 strip(s) green pepper(s), chopped
- 14 1/2 oz canned diced tomatoes, drained (reserve juice)
- 6 oz canned tomato paste
- 3/4 cup(s) water
- 2 Tbsp basil, fresh, chopped
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Halve squash lengthwise; scoop out seeds. Place squash, cut sides down, in a large baking dish and prick skin all over with a fork. Bake until tender, about 30 to 40 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet; sauté onion and garlic for 1 minute. Add broccoli and peppers; sauté until crisp-tender, about 3 to 4 minutes.
Stir in reserved tomato juice, tomato paste and water; simmer until vegetables are tender, about 5 to 8 minutes. Stir in diced tomatoes and basil; simmer for 1 minute more.
Using a fork, carefully rake stringy squash pulp from shell, separating it into spaghetti-like strands. Place about 1 1/2 cups of squash on each of 4 plates and top each with about 1 1/2 cups of sauce.