- 1 1/2 cup(s) fat-free reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup(s) apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika, mild-flavored, preferably smoked paprika
- 1 tsp table salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, or more to taste
- 3 pound(s) uncooked lean flank steak, two 1 1/2-lb steaks, trimmed of any fat
- 2 medium uncooked red onion(s), thinly sliced into rings
- 2 large sweet red pepper(s), seeded, cored and chopped
- 2 medium fresh apple(s), peeled, cored and shredded through the holes of a box grater
- 3 rib(s), medium uncooked celery, thinly sliced
- 3 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), minced
- 1/2 cup(s) cilantro, leaves, packed, chopped
Whisk the broth, vinegar, cumin, paprika, salt, black pepper and cayenne in a 5- or 6-quart slow cooker. Submerge the meat, then add the onions, red peppers, apples, celery and garlic, making sure the vegetables are under, between, and over the steaks.
Cover and cook on low until the meat is fork-tender, about 8 hours.
Transfer the meat to a cutting board; set aside for 10 minutes. Shred the meat with two forks, pulling it into strands along the grain. Return to the slow cooker; stir in cilantro. Set the slow cooker on warm and serve within 4 hours. Yields about 1 1/4 cups per serving.