- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 medium uncooked onion(s), chopped
- 1 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), minced
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper(s), minced (don't touch seeds with bare hands)
- 1 rib(s), medium uncooked celery, rib, chopped
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 14 1/2 oz canned diced tomatoes, undrained
- 15 oz canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cup(s) uncooked okra, frozen, sliced (do not thaw)
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce, or to taste
- 1 1/2 cup(s) canned chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 12 oz uncooked shrimp, large variety, peeled and deveined
Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, jalapeno and celery; cook, stirring frequently, 10 minutes. Add flour; stir constantly until flour is absorbed.
Add tomatoes with their liquid; stir constantly, scraping up any browned bits in pot. Stir in beans, okra, thyme, oregano, salt, pepper and hot pepper sauce; stir well. Add broth; bring to a boil over high heat. Add shrimp; reduce heat to low and simmer until shrimp are cooked through, about 10 minutes. Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving.
- This is a mildly-spiced gumbo. For more heat, add a dash of hot sauce before eating and consider adding a dash of red pepper flakes with the other seasonings. Garnish with fresh cilantro, if desired.