Roasted Pumpkin and Chestnut Salad with Orange-Cranberry Vinaigrette
- Total Time
Don’t toss the pumpkin seeds. Rinse, dry, season and roast for a tasty snack or salad topping.
uncooked pumpkin2 pound(s), fresh, whole sugar pumpkin (or kabocha squash)
cooking spray10 spray(s)
uncooked European chestnuts1 cup(s), halved, peeled frozen (or use water-packed jarred chestnuts)
olive oil2 Tbsp
balsamic vinegar1 Tbsp
Dijon Mustard1 tsp
dried cranberries2 Tbsp, chopped
table salt½ tsp
black pepper¼ tsp, freshly ground
lettuce8 cup(s), chopped, torn, chicory variety
grated Pecorino Romano cheese1 cup(s)
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Line two baking sheets with aluminum foil (or just coat with cooking spray).
- Microwave whole pumpkin (or squash) for 1 minute to make it easier to cut. Using a heavy-duty knife, cut stem end from pumpkin. Put pumpkin cut side down and halve lengthwise; remove and discard seeds (or save for other use). Cut unpeeled pumpkin into 1/2-inch wedges.
- Spread pumpkin wedges on prepared pans, cut side down, in a single layer; lightly coat both sides with cooking spray. Roast until lightly golden, about 15 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven; flip pumpkin wedges with a spatula. Add chestnuts to pans; roast until pumpkin is golden and just tender when pierced with a knife, about 15 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, zest orange into a large bowl. Halve zested orange; squeeze to yield 2 Tbsp juice and add to bowl. Add oil, vinegar, mustard, cranberries, salt, and pepper to bowl; stir to combine.
- Add chicory, roasted pumpkin, chestnuts, and cheese to bowl: toss to combine. Divide among 6 plates and serve.
- Serving size: 1 1/2 cups salad with 4 pumpkin wedges