Roast chicken with prosciutto stuffing
Raw skinless boneless light and dark meat chicken
1¾ pound(s), 3 1/2 pound whole chicken, giblets discarded
1 item(s), small, halved
1 small, peeled and quartered
2 Tbsp, chopped
4 oz, 1-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
1 large, quartered and thinly sliced
1 rib(s), medium, chopped
2 slice(s), chopped
3 Tbsp, chopped
1 large egg(s), lightly beaten
Canned chicken broth
½ tsp, grated
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place bread cubes on large baking sheet and spread in single layer. Bake, stirring once, until lightly toasted, about 8 minutes. Transfer to large bowl. Set aside. Maintain oven temperature.
- To make chicken, spray medium roasting pan with nonstick spray. Place chicken in pan. With your fingers, loosen skin on chicken breasts, legs, and thighs. Rub salt and pepper on meat under skin; press skin back into place. Place lemon halves, onion quarters, and tarragon sprigs inside cavity of chicken. Tuck wings under chicken and tie legs together with kitchen string. Roast until instant-read thermometer inserted into thigh registers 165°F, about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make stuffing, spray 1 1/2-quart baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Heat oil in large skillet. Add onion and celery and cook, stirring often, until vegetables are softened and lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Add onion mixture, prosciutto, parsley, tarragon, egg, chicken broth, lemon zest, salt, and pepper to bread cubes and toss to combine. Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish; cover and bake 20 minutes. Uncover and bake until top is lightly browned, about 15 minutes longer.
- Remove chicken from oven and transfer to carving board. Let stand 10 minutes before carving. Discard skin before eating.
- Serving size: 1/6 of chicken and about 2/3 cup stuffing