Uncooked skinless chicken breast with bone
28 oz, (four 7 oz breasts - or similar size)
Reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 Tbsp, fresh leaves, chopped
2½ tsp, divided (or to taste)
2 tsp, divided (or to taste)
1 tsp, freshly ground
Cooked chicken chorizo sausage
6 oz, cut into rounds
3 medium clove(s), thickly sliced
2 large, white and light green parts only
5 large, preferably rainbow variety, peeled, cut into chunks
Sweet red pepper(s)
1 large, sliced into 1/2-inch strips
1½ cup(s), rinsed
Uncooked baby broccoli
1 bunch(es), trimmed (cut in half lengthwise if thick)
1 item(s), juiced and zested (optional)
- Remove any visible fat from chicken and halve each breast crosswise, cutting through bone. Season chicken all over with rosemary, 2 tsp paprika, 1½ tsp salt, and black pepper.
- In large (12-inch) straight-sided skillet, heat oil over medium. Add chicken, then nestle chorizo and garlic around chicken. Cook, turning chicken and chorizo occasionally, until chicken is golden on all sides, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer chicken to plate, leaving garlic in pan.
- Meanwhile, split leeks in half lengthwise and rinse well under running water. Cut leeks into ½-inch slices.
- Add leeks, carrots, bell pepper, and remaining ½ tsp salt to garlic in pan and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until soft, 6 to 8 minutes. Add broth, quinoa, turmeric, and remaining ½ tsp paprika and stir to combine. Bring to simmer. Nestle chicken and chorizo, with any juices, into quinoa. Cover pan tightly and cook over low heat for 10 minutes. Add broccoli. Cover and cook until quinoa is done, chicken is cooked through, and broccoli is bright green, about 5 minutes more. Season quinoa with more paprika and salt and sprinkle with lemon zest and juice (if using).
- Serving size: ½ chicken breast, 1 cup quinoa “paella,” and a few spears of broccoli