Provençal Beef Daube with Mushrooms
- Total Time
A daube is a stew cooked in a round, earthenware casserole called a daubière. Its shape prevents the stew’s liquid from evaporating too quickly while it simmers.
uncooked lean beef round24 oz, top, or (1 1/2 pounds) trimmed of all visible fat and cut into 11/2-inch chunks
red wine8 fl oz, dry
orange zest1 tsp, or 3 (4 x 1/2-inch) strips
dried rosemary1 tsp
dried thyme1 tsp
olive oil1 Tbsp
uncooked red onion(s)1 large, coarsely chopped
garlic clove(s)2 clove(s), medium, minced
water¾ cup(s), boiling
plum tomato(es)14 ½ oz, can, Italian, cut up
table salt1 tsp
black pepper¼ tsp, freshly ground
dried mushrooms½ oz, container, imported
uncooked carrot(s)6 medium, sliced
cremini mushroom(s)1 pound(s), fresh, or white mushrooms, halved
cooked ziti4 cup(s), hot
- Combine the beef, wine, 2 of the orange strips, 1/2 teaspoon of the rosemary, and 1/2 teaspoon of the thyme in a bowl; toss well. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or up to overnight, turning the meat occasionally.
- Drain the beef, reserving the wine. Wipe the herbs off the beef and discard along with the orange zest. Pat the beef dry.
- Heat the oil in a nonstick Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add half of the beef. Cook until lightly browned on all sides, about 4 minutes. Transfer the beef to a plate. Repeat with the remaining beef.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add the onion, garlic, and 1/4 cup of the water to the pot. Cook, stirring, until onion is translucent, 3–5 minutes. Return the beef with any accumulated juices to the pot. Add the tomatoes with their juice, salt, pepper, the reserved wine, the remaining orange strip, 1/2 teaspoon rosemary, and 1/2 teaspoon thyme; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, 1 hour.
- Add the carrots, the fresh and dried mushrooms, and the mushroom liquid to the pot. Simmer, covered, until the meat and carrots are fork-tender, about 1 hour, partially covering the stew for the last 30 minutes. Serve with the pasta.
- Add the carrots, the fresh and dried mushrooms, and the mushroom liquid to the pot. Simmer, covered, until the meat and carrots are fork-tender, about 1 hour, partially covering the stew for the last 30 minutes. Serve with the pasta. Yields 1 1/2 cups stew with 2/3 cup pasta per serving.