Prosciutto-Wrapped Shrimp Kebabs
- Total Time
Here’s an elegant preparation for kebabs. Swap yellow summer squash for the zucchini, if you prefer.
uncooked zucchini1 medium
uncooked asparagus1 pound(s), (22 average spears; not super thin)
uncooked shrimp1 ¼ pound(s), peeled, deveined, tails intact (16 extra large shrimp)
prosciutto4 oz, cut lengthwise into 8 long pieces
lemon(s)1 medium, zested, plus juice from half
table salt1 pinch, (or to taste)
black pepper1 pinch, (or to taste)
olive oil4 tsp
fresh mint leaves¼ cup(s), thinly sliced (plus extra leaves for garnish)
cooking spray4 spray(s)
- If you don't have metal skewers, soak four 10-in bamboo skewers in a shallow dish of water for at least 20 minutes.
- Trim ends from zucchini. Using a vegetable peeler, cut lengthwise into long ribbons, stopping once you reach the seedy center. Flip zucchini over; peel other side, again stopping at the seedy center. Set zucchini ribbons aside; discard seedy center.
- Cut asparagus starting at tips, so you end up with twenty-four 1 1/2-in long pieces; set aside.
- Wrap each shrimp in a half slice of prosciutto.
- Thread a wrapped shrimp, zucchini ribbon (accordion style) and 2 asparagus pieces onto a skewer; repeat three times and then finish off each skewer with a fourth shrimp. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make 4 skewers.
- To make vinaigrette, stir lemon zest and juice, salt and pepper together in a small bowl; whisk in oil and then stir in mint. (If making ahead, add mint at the last minute.)
- Heat a grill to medium-high heat. Off heat, lightly coat skewers with cooking spray; grill until shrimp are cooked through, flipping once, 3-5 minutes per side. Spoon vinaigrette over kebabs; garnish with mint leaves and serve.
- Serving size: 1 kebab