- 1/2 tsp table salt, for cooking water
- 1 pound(s) uncooked asparagus, thick spears, ends trimmed (about 20 per bunch)
- 6 oz Casa Italia Prosciutto, or other brand, thinly sliced into 20 pieces
- 1/4 cup(s) low fat cream cheese
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar, good-quality
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, freshly ground, or to taste
- Line a baking sheet with paper towels. Fill a large bowl with ice water. Fill a large stock pot with water; stir in salt. Set over high heat; bring to a rolling boil. Blanch asparagus just until tender, about 3 to 4 minutes depending on asparagus thickness. Drain; immediately plunge asparagus into ice bath. Let asparagus chill for 3 to 5 minutes; place in a single layer on prepared baking sheet to dry.
- Lightly spread a dab of cream cheese down center of each prosciutto rectangle; place asparagus stalks across narrow bottom end of prosciutto at a slight angle. Gently wrap prosciutto around asparagus so it covers stalks. Place asparagus on a serving platter; sprinkle with vinegar and season with several grinds of black pepper just before serving. Yields 1 asparagus per serving (depending on asparagus thickness).
This dish can be prepared up to a day before serving. Simply cover with a damp paper towel and wrap in plastic wrap. Garnish with vinegar and pepper just before serving.