- 1 pound(s) uncooked lean boneless pork chop(s), center-cut, about 1/2-inch thick, trimmed of all visible fat, 4 (1/4-pound)
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 tsp safflower oil
- 3 medium fresh apple(s), Golden Delicious, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup(s) sauerkraut, drained (See tip.)
- 1/2 tsp caraway seeds
Sprinkle the pork with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper. Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pork and cook until browned and cooked through, 3–4 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in the skillet. Add the apples and cinnamon. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the apples begin to brown, 3–4 minutes. Add the sauerkraut, caraway seeds, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Cook until the sauerkraut begins to brown, 2–3 minutes. Serve with the pork. Yields 1 pork chop with 1/2 cup sauerkraut-apple mixture per serving.
- We find refrigerated sauerkraut to be vastly superior to the canned variety, which has a metallic aftertaste. Look for it in the dairy section of the supermarket.