Pureeing the soup gives it a deliciously smooth, velvety texture.
- 3/4 tsp coconut oil
- 2 cup(s) uncooked onion(s), diced
- 3 cup(s) uncooked carrot(s), diced
- 1 tsp table salt
- 1 Tbsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 8 cup(s) uncooked butternut squash, cubed
- 4 cup(s) fat free chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 Tbsp orange juice
- 2 Tbsp chives, chopped
Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and salt; cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are softened, 10 minutes.
Add ginger, garlic, coriander, cumin, cinnamon and cayenne; cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Add squash and broth to pot; increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, uncovered, until squash is extremely soft, 30-35 minutes.
Puree soup in pot using an immersion blender (or puree in batches in a regular blender); stir in orange juice and garnish with chives.
Serving size: 1 cup
- If you prefer a thinner soup, stir in a little water.