Mini Margherita Eggplant Pizzas
Eggplant replaces the crust in this mini version of the classic and well-loved pizza. This six-ingredient dish makes a fabulous appetizer or can be served as a main dish when paired with a bowl of veggie soup or a salad. And they take just 10 minutes of prep time. When purchasing eggplant, be sure to choose ones that have smooth, shiny skin free of soft spots or blemishes and that also feel heavy for their size. Top these with sliced turkey pepperoni or cooked and crumbled mild Italian chicken sausage. And sprinkle them with a little crushed red pepper, if you’d like a touch of heat.
1 large, cut into twelve 1/4-inch-thick slices
Crushed red pepper flakes
Fresh mozzarella cheese
4 oz, coarsely grated (1/2 cup)
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Arrange eggplant slices on prepared pan, leaving space between each. Roast until bottoms are well browned, 10-15 minutes; flip over. Roast until evenly browned, 10 minutes more. Cool for 5 minutes on an oven-safe wire rack.
- Combine marinara sauce, garlic and red pepper flakes in a small bowl. Spread 2 tsp sauce across each cooled eggplant slice (on wire rack); top each with 1/2 tablespoon mozzarella.
- Carefully place rack on prepared pan; bake until cheese melts, 5 minutes. Garnish each eggplant round with a basil leaf; serve immediately.
- Serving size: 3 eggplant rounds