- 4 large uncooked potato(es), Idaho variety, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 8 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), peeled
- 1 cup(s) light sour cream
- 1/2 cup(s) low-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup(s) fresh parsley, fresh, chopped
- 3/4 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, or to taste
Place potatoes and garlic in a large saucepan; fill with enough water to cover them.
Set pan over high heat; bring to a boil. Boil until potatoes are fork-tender, about 8 minutes; drain and return potatoes and garlic to pan. Add sour cream to pan; stir and then mash mixture until almost smooth (or desired consistency). Stir in buttermilk. Fold in parsley; season to taste with salt and pepper. Yields about 3/4 cup per serving.
- You may also use red potatoes—unpeeled for color—or Yukon Golds—for a natural buttery flavor. Feel free to swap plain low-fat yogurt or cottage cheese for the sour cream, if you prefer.