Low-Country Collard Greens by Millie Peartree
Uncooked collard greens
3 pound(s), about 3 bunches
1 medium, finely chopped
1 pinch(es), or to taste
Cooked smoked boneless skinless turkey wing meat
Chicken bouillon cube
Crushed red pepper flakes
Apple cider vinegar
- Start by pulling and tearing collard greens away from stems. Take a hand full of greens, roll them up, and cut the rolls horizontally into small pieces. Rinse them well in cold water, drain, and set aside.
- In a Dutch oven or large stockpot over medium-low heat, sauté onion in oil with a pinch of salt until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add collard greens to pot and cover with enough water to just barely cover greens (about 4 to 5 cups).
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat to low, and simmer, covered, until greens are completely tender, about 2 hours (most of the water should have evaporated by this point).
- Remove turkey from pot to a cutting board, shred with two forks, and then stir back into greens.
- Serving size: about 1 cup