Lentil Rotini with Creamy Vodka Sauce
Uncooked yellow lentil pasta
8¾ oz, rotini variety
Frozen green peas
Garlic-flavored olive oil
1 small, chopped (3/4 cup)
Canned tomato paste
Canned tomato sauce
Crushed red pepper flakes
Reduced fat cream cheese
Grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions, adding peas before last minute of cooking pasta.
- While pasta cooks, in a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 7 minutes.
- Add vodka and tomato paste and stir until blended. Add tomato sauce, salt, and crushed red pepper and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 1 minute. Stir in cream cheese and pesto until cream cheese is melted.
- Drain pasta and peas, reserving 1/2 cup pasta cooking water. Return pasta and peas to pot. Stir in sauce and toss. Stir some cooking water into sauce for thinner consistency, if desired. Spoon pasta into bowls and sprinkle with cheese.
- Serving size: 1 cup pasta and 1 tsp cheese