We’ve updated this classic pasta dish with a so-simple one-pot preparation and a welcome dose of lemon.
- 2 spray(s) cooking spray
- 16 oz raw fresh turkey sausage, spicy Italian variety, casing removed
- 1 large uncooked onion(s), diced
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 3 clove(s), large garlic clove(s), minced
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cup(s) canned chicken broth
- 8 oz uncooked orecchiette pasta
- 2 cup(s), chopped uncooked broccolini, or regular broccoli
- 1/4 cup(s) grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1 cup(s) grape tomatoes, halved (optional)
- 1/3 cup(s) basil, fresh, chopped
Coat a large nonstick soup pot with cooking spray; heat over medium high heat. Add sausage and cook, stirring often and breaking apart sausage with a wooden spoon, until well-browned, 8 minutes; remove sausage to a bowl.
Add onion and salt; cook, stirring often, until onion is softened, 5-8 minutes. Add garlic and hot pepper flakes; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add broth; bring to a boil over high heat. Add pasta; cook, stirring frequently, 8 minutes. Add broccolini; cook, stirring occasionally, until pasta is al dente, about 4 minutes more.
Stir in cooked sausage, 3 Tbsp Parmesan, lemon juice and lemon zest; garnish with tomatoes, basil and remaining 1 Tbsp Parmesan.
Serving size: 1 1/2 c