Lemon-Basil Mashed Potatoes
- 1 1/4 pound(s) uncooked potato(es), red variety, scrubbed and halved
- 1/2 cup(s) reduced-sodium chicken broth, warmed
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp basil, fresh, chopped
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest, grated
- 2 tsp lemon juice canned or bottled
- Put the potatoes in a medium saucepan and add enough water to cover; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes; drain.
- Return the potatoes to the saucepan. Add the broth, butter, salt, and pepper. Mash until the potatoes are smooth. Stir in the basil and lemon zest and juice. Yields 3/4 cup per serving.