Italian-Style Pot Roast
Uncooked lean beef round
48 oz, 1 (3-pound) bottom round beef roast, trimmed
Uncooked red onion(s)
1 large, quartered and thinly sliced
3 large clove(s), minced
Dried porcini mushrooms
½ oz, (1 tbsp) finely chopped
1 Tbsp, chopped fresh rosemary or 3/4 tsp dried
Canned diced tomatoes
14½ oz, (1 can)
8 sprig(s), flat-leaf, tied together with kitchen string
- Sprinkle roast with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Place beef on sheet of wax paper; sprinkle with flour, gently pressing so it adheres.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef and cook until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer to 5- or 6-quart slow cooker.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add onion to skillet and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, dried mushrooms, and rosemary and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer onion mixture to slow cooker; stir in tomatoes, parsley sprigs, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Cover and cook until beef is fork-tender, 4–6 hours on High or 8–10 hours on Low. Remove and discard parsley sprigs. Transfer beef to cutting board; let stand loosely covered 10 minutes
- Meanwhile, pour pan liquid and vegetables into medium saucepan and bring to boil over high heat. Boil until reduced to to about 2 cups.
- Cut beef against grain into 16 slices. Serve with sauce and vegetables.
- Serving size: 2 slices beef and 1/4 cup sauce with vegetables