- 2 1/2 oz low-fat Swiss cheese, 2 slices, reduced-sodium
- 2 medium whole wheat tortilla(s), 8-inch round
- 1/2 cup(s), shredded cooked green cabbage, finely shredded or coleslaw mix
- 2 oz cooked lean ham, 97% fat-free, smoked-variety
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Fit one slice of the cheese on one of the tortillas to come within 1 inch of the edge. Sprinkle evenly with the cabbage and top with overlapping slices of ham. Top with the remaining cheese, then the remaining tortilla. Transfer the quesadilla to the skillet.
Cook the quesadilla, occasionally pressing down gently with a spatula, until the bottom tortilla is toasted crisp, about 11/2 minutes. Carefully turn the quesadilla over and cook until crisp and the cheese melts, 11/2 minutes longer. Transfer to a plate and cut into four wedges. Serve warm. Yields 1/2 quesadilla per serving.
- Equal amounts shredded carrots or three or four thin slices of tomato would make good alternative fillings to the green cabbage. Use leftover tortillas to make your own baked tortilla chips. Stack 2 to 3 tortillas and cut them into 8 triangles. Arrange in a single layer on a nonstick baking sheet and bake in a preheated 350°F oven until crisp, 5–7 minutes. Store the chips in a tightly covered container for up to 3 days.