Grilled pineapple salad
Packed brown sugar
½ fl oz, (1 tablespoon) or orange juice
2 tsp, melted
Prepared angel food cake
4 oz, (1⁄8 of a 10-inch tube cake) cut into 1-inch chunks
1 cup(s), fresh, chunks
1 medium, ripe, cut into chunks
Dried shredded and sweetened coconut meat
2 Tbsp, sweetened variety
- Spray the grill rack with nonstick spray. Prepare the grill for medium-hot cooking.
- Combine the brown sugar, rum, and butter in a small bowl.
- Thread the cake, pineapple, and banana onto separate skewers. Brush the pineapple and banana skewers on both sides with the brown sugar mixture.
- Grill, turning as needed, until the cake is lightly browned (about 2 minutes), and the pineapple and banana are softened, with blackened grill marks (about 8 minutes). Brush the fruit occasionally with the sugar mixture as needed.
- Remove the cake, pineapple, and banana from the skewers and place in a serving bowl. Drizzle with any remaining sugar mixture, sprinkle with the coconut, and toss gently. Yields 3/4 cup per serving.