Ginger breakfast cakes with quick strawberry jam
Whole wheat flour
⅓ cup(s), minced
⅓ cup(s), cold, cut into small pieces
2 large egg(s)
1 pound(s), hulled and chopped
Fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together all-purpose and whole wheat flours, 3 tablespoons of sugar, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl. Stir in ginger separating the pieces with your fingers. With pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until butter is size of small peas.
- Whisk together eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla in small bowl. Add to flour mixture and stir just until moistened; do not overmix.
- Turn dough out onto prepared baking sheet. With floured hands, pat dough into 8-inch disk about 1 1/2 inches thick. With floured knife, cut dough into 8 wedges (do not separate wedges). Bake until cakes just begin to brown, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile to make jam, combine strawberries, remaining 3 tablespoons sugar, and lemon juice in medium saucepan and set over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves, 1–2 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Cook, mashing strawberries with potato masher or back of wooden spoon, until jam is thickened and bubbling, about 10 minutes. Transfer to shallow bowl to cool slightly. Serve jam with breakfast cakes.
- Serving size: 1 cake and 1/4 cup jam