Fresh Cream of Tomato Soup
- 1 spray(s) cooking spray
- 2 medium uncooked leek(s), chopped (white parts only)
- 8 medium fresh tomato(es), ripe, beefsteak, cored and chopped (about 3 lbs)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 leaf/leaves bay leaf
- 4 cup(s) vegetable broth
- 12 oz fat free evaporated milk
- 1/4 Tbsp basil, fresh, chopped
- 1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, freshly ground, or to taste
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme, fresh (for garnish)
- Coat a large saucepan with cooking spray and set pan over medium heat. Add leeks and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, thyme and bay leaf; cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes break down, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth and reduce heat to low; simmer, covered, 10 minutes. Remove from heat and remove bay leaf.
- Puree tomato mixture in saucepan using an immersion blender. Or, working in batches, puree tomato mixture in a blender until smooth (be careful not to splatter hot liquid); return puree to saucepan and set pan over low heat. Add milk and simmer 1 minute to heat through. Remove from heat and stir in basil; season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with thyme and serve. Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving.