Egg Drop Soup
- 6 cup(s) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 oz dried mushrooms, black or shitake
- 1 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp sherry (dry or sweet), or vermouth
- 3/4 cup(s) frozen baby peas
- 2 large egg(s), lightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, freshly chopped
- 2 Tbsp uncooked scallion(s), sliced into rounds
- Combine broth and mushrooms in a medium saucepan. Set pan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 5 minutes.
- Strain chicken broth and mushrooms through a paper-towel-lined sieve (or coffee filter), reserving liquid. Rinse mushrooms under water to remove any grit and slice into thin strips (remove tough stems if necessary).
- Return strained liquid and sliced mushrooms to saucepan and set pan over high heat. Add soy sauce and sherry and bring mixture to a boil. Stir in peas. Gradually add eggs in a thin, slow stream, and stir gently with a wooden spoon for 30 seconds. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro and scallions.
- Ladle soup into bowls and serve hot. Yields 1 1/2 cups per serving.