This quick, stovetop version of mac and cheese is destined to become a family favorite. It's creamy and satisfying — so easy to make.
- 12 oz uncooked pasta, elbow macaroni or other small shape (about 3 cups)
- 1/8 tsp table salt, for pasta cooking water
- 2 cup(s) fat free skim milk
- 1/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp table salt
- 3/4 tsp onion powder
- 1 cup(s) Weight Watchers Cheese, cheddar, shredded, low fat, sharp-variety
- 1/8 tsp hot pepper sauce, or more to taste
Cook pasta in lightly salted boiling water according to package directions; drain and return to pot.
Meanwhile, while pasta cooks, in a large saucepan, whisk together milk, flour, salt and onion powder until blended.* Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking frequently; reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring often, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat and whisk in cheese and hot sauce. Add sauce to pasta; toss to mix and coat. Yields about 1 cup per serving.
- *Add red pepper flakes and freshly ground black pepper with the salt and onion powder, if desired.