Evaporated skim milk is a healthy way to add creaminess to soup instead of using cream.
- 1 medium uncooked onion(s), chopped
- 1 clove(s), medium garlic clove(s), minced
- 2 pound(s) uncooked broccoli, tough ends removed, stems and florets chopped
- 4 cup(s) fat free chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 cup(s) fat free evaporated milk
- 1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, or to taste
Combine onion and garlic in a 2-quart saucepan with 1/4 cup of water. Simmer until onion is soft, about 10 minutes; spoon vegetables into a large pot.
Add broccoli and broth to pot; bring to a boil over high heat. Once soup boils, reduce heat and simmer until broccoli is soft but still green, about 8 minutes. Do not cover pot while broccoli is cooking or it will turn gray.
Remove soup from heat; puree until smooth in batches in a blender (be careful not to splatter hot liquid) or puree in pot using an immersion blender. Add evaporated milk and hot pepper sauce to soup; season to taste with salt and pepper. Yields about 1 3/4 cups per serving.
- Fresh chives brighten the flavor of cream soups. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of minced chives over each serving. Or, if available, garnish each bowl with 1 chive blossom.