Chicken and Orzo Soup with Fennel
- Total Time
Lemon and dill give this soup a fresh, bright note. It’s a simple yet flavorful way to use up leftover cooked chicken.
reduced-sodium chicken broth8 cup(s)
table salt1 tsp, or more to taste
black pepper½ tsp, freshly ground (or more to taste)
uncooked carrot(s)4 medium, thinly sliced into rounds
uncooked fennel bulb(s)1 medium, thinly sliced and then chopped (or to taste)
uncooked orzo1 cup(s)
cooked skinless boneless chicken breast(s)2 cup(s), chopped
fresh lemon juice¼ cup(s)
dill3 Tbsp, fresh, chopped, divided (or more to taste)
- In a large soup pot, combine broth, salt and pepper; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add carrots, fennel and orzo; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, until orzo and vegetables are tender, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in chicken; cook until heated through.
- Remove pot from heat; stir in lemon juice and dill. Yields about 1 1/4 cups per serving.