Our inspiration for this recipe comes from mushroom-barley soup. It’s a wonderful side dish in place of potatoes or rice.
- 2 spray(s) cooking spray
- 2 tsp unsalted butter
- 1 small uncooked Spanish onion(s), finely chopped
- 1/2 pound(s) cremini mushroom(s), shredded* (also known as baby Bella)
- 3 cup(s) vegetable broth, or mushroom broth
- 1 cup(s) uncooked pearl barley
- 1 tsp table salt, or to taste
Coat a heavy saucepan with cooking spray and set over medium-high heat; melt butter in pan.
Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring a few times, until mushrooms release their moisture, about 5 minutes.
Add broth, barley and salt; bring to a boil. Partially cover pan and reduce heat to low; simmer until barley is tender, stirring occasionally, about 60 to 75 minutes. Yields about 1 cup per serving.
- *Shred mushrooms using a box grater or food processor. Garnish with sprigs of fresh parsley.