Apple Braised Chicken
- 1 pound(s) uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast(s), four 4-oz pieces
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 large uncooked red onion(s), sliced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 1/2 cup(s) apple cider
- 1 cup(s) fat-free reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 large Granny Smith apple, sliced
- 1 Tbsp fresh sage, minced
- 4 tsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle both sides of chicken breasts with flour; cook until browned on both sides, flipping once, about 3 to 5 minutes per side. Remove from skillet to a plate.
- Add onions, salt, and pepper to same pan and reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring frequently, until onions are softened, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add cider, broth and mustard to pan; stir to combine.
- Return chicken to pan and increase heat to medium-high; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Add apples and sage to pan; flip chicken over, stir mixture and continue to cook, uncovered, until chicken is cooked through, about 10 to 12 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
- Serving size: 1 chicken breast and 3/4 c apple mixture