Apple and Walnut Bran Muffins
- Total Time
Tired of oversized, high-fat deli muffins? These delicious, nutritious muffins are your answer.
packed light brown sugar5 Tbsp
chopped walnuts3 Tbsp, very fine
ready to eat bran flakes1 ¼ cup(s), (or bran sticks)
fat free skim milk1 cup(s), or fat-free buttermilk
canola oil2 Tbsp
all-purpose flour1 cup(s)
toasted wheat germ¼ cup(s)
baking powder2 tsp
ground cinnamon1 tsp
baking soda½ tsp
table salt¼ tsp
fresh apple(s)1 large, peeled, cored, and shredded
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray a nonstick 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick spray.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of the brown sugar with 1 tablespoon of the walnuts in a small bowl; set aside for the topping.
- Lightly beat the eggs in a large bowl. Add remaining 4 tablespoons brown sugar, the bran cereal, buttermilk, oil, and molasses; let soak 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the flour, wheat germ, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Stir the flour mixture into the cereal mixture just until blended. Stir in the apple and the remaining 2 tablespoons walnuts.
- Spoon the batter into the cups. Sprinkle the brown sugar and walnut topping evenly over the muffins. Bake until a toothpick inserted in a muffin comes out clean, 20–23 minutes. Cool in the pan on a rack 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and cool completely on the rack. Yields 1 muffin per serving.