- 5 Tbsp packed light brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp chopped walnuts, very fine
- 2 large egg(s)
- 1 1/4 cup(s) ready to eat bran flakes, (or bran sticks)
- 1 cup(s) fat free skim milk, or fat-free buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 Tbsp molasses
- 1 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup(s) toasted wheat germ
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1 large fresh apple(s), peeled, cored, and shredded
Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray a nonstick 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick spray.
Mix 1 tablespoon of the brown sugar with 1 tablespoon of the walnuts in a small bowl; set aside for the topping.
Lightly beat the eggs in a large bowl. Add remaining 4 tablespoons brown sugar, the bran cereal, buttermilk, oil, and molasses; let soak 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine the flour, wheat germ, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Stir the flour mixture into the cereal mixture just until blended. Stir in the apple and the remaining 2 tablespoons walnuts.
Spoon the batter into the cups. Sprinkle the brown sugar and walnut topping evenly over the muffins. Bake until a toothpick inserted in a muffin comes out clean, 20–23 minutes. Cool in the pan on a rack 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and cool completely on the rack. Yields 1 muffin per serving.
- Simply place the muffins in individual zip-close freezer bags and freeze for up to three months, ready to grab one in the morning as you leave for work for an on-the-go lunch or breakfast. To warm, simply remove the frozen muffin from its bag and microwave on High for 30 seconds. Or eat at room temperature.