Poached chicken with Puy lentils, courgette & asparagus
Chicken stock cube(s)
1 cube(s), to make 1 litre stock
1 large, sliced
1 teaspoon(s), whole black peppercorns
Chicken breast, skinless, raw
500 g, 2 x 250g fillets
Puy lentils, dry
Bay leaf, dry
14 spear(s), sliced diagonally
2 tablespoon(s), level
60 ml, white
2 medium, peeled into ribbons
25 g, toasted, coarsely chopped
- Put the stock, onion, thyme and peppercorns in a medium pan and set over a medium heat. Add the chicken and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat until barely simmering, and poach the chicken, turning occasionally, for 10 minutes or until just cooked through.
- Remove the pan from the heat and leave the chicken in the stock for 5 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate lined with kitchen paper. Allow the chicken to cool slightly then shred.
- Bring a medium pan of water to a boil, add the lentils and bay leaf then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, covered, for 20 minutes. Drain and spread the lentils out on a baking tray to cool slightly.
- Bring another pan of water to a boil and cook the asparagus for 2-3 minutes until just tender. Drain and refresh under cold running water.
- Whisk together the mustard, oil and vinegar in a bowl. Season to taste.
- Put the courgette, asparagus, lentils and half the dressing in a bowl and toss to dress. Top the salad with the chicken and walnuts then drizzle over the remaining dressing to serve.