Calorie controlled cooking spray
Extra lean beef mince (5% fat), raw
1 medium, chopped
1 medium, grated
250 g, chopped
1 medium, deseeded and chopped
200 g, sliced
2 clove(s), finely chopped or crushed
2 tablespoons, level
Dried Mixed Herbs
1 tablespoons, use Italian
Vegetable stock cube(s)
1 cube(s), Beef or Chicken, made up with 200ml hot water
6 leaf/leaves, to garnish
White pasta, dry
- Heat a large saucepan and spray with calorie-controlled cooking spray. Add the mince and cook over a high heat. Don’t stir immediately, as you want the meat to really brown on the base, so give it a few moments – then turn to sear and brown on all sides.
- Add the onion, courgette, carrots, pepper, mushrooms, garlic, tomatoes, tomato puree, herbs and stock. Stir well and bring the mixture up to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, partially cover with the lid and cook for 30-40 minutes. To reduce the liquid to thicken the sauce, remove the lid for the final 10-15 minutes.
- To cook the spaghetti, first check the pack instructions – timings vary. If it’s quick cook it will only take 4-5 minutes. Wholewheat will take 9-12 minutes. Bring a large saucepan of water up to a rolling boil, then add a little salt. Gradually feed the spaghetti into the saucepan. Swirl it around the pan by stirring with a wooden spoon, then boil gently for the recommended cooking time. Avoid overcooking or boiling too vigorously.
- Drain the pasta in a colander, then share it between 4 serving plates. Spoon the sauce on top, then serve, garnished with a few fresh basil leaves.