Perfect brown rice
SmartPoints® value per serving
Brown basmati rice, dry
Vegetable stock cube(s)
- Rinse the rice under cold running water then drain well and transfer to a deep, microwave-safe bowl. Crumble the stock cube over the rice, then use your finger tips to rub it through the grains.
- Pour over 600ml cold water then sit a microwave-safe plate on top of the bowl to cover it completely – ideally with the base of the plate sitting just inside the rim of the bowl.
- Microwave the rice on High for 20 minutes. Let stand for a further 10 minutes, then remove the plate and fluff up the grains of rice with a fork.
- To cook on the hob, put the same quantity of rice, stock cube and water in a medium pan with a well-fitting lid. Bring to the boil over a high heat then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer. Cover with a lid and cook for 25 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 15 minutes. Fluff up the grains with a fork.
- Cool, then store in the fridge for up to 3 days, or freeze in an airtight container for up to 6 months. To reheat, defrost thoroughly, then follow the same microwave method above, but cook for just 3-4 minutes.