Aubergine parmigiana bake
4 medium, sliced thinly
Calorie controlled cooking spray
2 large, finely diced
3 clove(s), crushed
1 tablespoons, level
3 can(s), large
4 tablespoons, chopped
Vegetarian Parmesan Style Hard Cheese
- Preheat the grill to high. Arrange one-third of the aubergine slices on a large baking sheet and mist all over with cooking spray. Cook under the grill for 3-5 minutes, then turn the aubergine, mist with more cooking spray and grill for another 3-5 minutes until tender and golden. Repeat with the remaining aubergine slices.
- Mist a large nonstick pan with cooking spray and fry the onion with 2 tablespoons of water for 8-10 minutes, covered, over a medium heat until softened. Add the garlic and oregano and cook for 1 minute. Tip in the tinned tomatoes, stir and then let bubble, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes until thickened. Add the basil and season to taste.
- Divide one-third of the tomato sauce between 2 baking dishes and top with half the aubergine slices. Top with another third of the sauce, followed by the remaining aubergine, and the remaining sauce. Combine the breadcrumbs and cheese, then scatter evenly over the surface of each dish.
- To serve: Preheat the oven to 210°C, fan 200°C, gas mark 7. Bake one parmigiana for 25 minutes, until golden and bubbling. Scatter over a handful of fresh basil leaves and serve with a green salad on the side.
- To freeze: Let the second parmigiana cool completely then cover with clingfilm followed by kitchen foil. Freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost overnight and then bake, uncovered, as per ‘to serve’ instructions.