In season - Mushroom recipes
Mushies are packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. They are in season throughout autumn.
Published 26 March 2017
How to store mushrooms and cooking tips
- Plastic bags make mushrooms sweat and deteriorate quickly. Store them in paper bags in the fridge so they last longer.
- Mushrooms absorb water, so instead of washing them just wipe them clean with paper towel.
- A quick sauté on a high heat is all they need to make them tender and produce the best flavour. Mushrooms become soggy if overcooked.
- These brown gems contain essential vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. They may also help to lower blood glucose and improve diabetes health and may reduce cancer risks.
- When mushrooms are exposed to sunlight they naturally generate vitamin D. 'Vitamin D mushrooms’, which have been pulsed with UV light, are available from some retailers. Or expose regular mushrooms to direct midday winter sunlight for 1–2 hours.
In season during: Summer, autumn and spring.