- 1/2 tsp table salt, divided
- 1/2 cup(s) uncooked whole wheat couscous, quick cooking-variety
- 15 oz canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium uncooked scallion(s), trimmed and chopped
- 1 cup(s) cooked broccoli, chopped
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/3 cup(s) canned tomato juice
- 1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp olive oil
Combine 3/4 cup water and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Stir in couscous and reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set couscous aside, covered, for 10 minutes. Uncover pan, fluff couscous with a fork and spoon into a serving bowl; let cool to room temperature.
When cool, add beans, scallion and broccoli to couscous; toss gently but well.
In a small bowl, combine red pepper flakes, cumin, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and tomato juice; stir well. Stir in vinegar and oil, and pour over couscous salad; toss gently but well. Yields about 1 cup per serving.
- Vary the vegetables in this side dish: use shredded carrots or cabbage in place of broccoli.