White Beans with Spinach, Ham, and Goat Cheese
- Total Time
olive oil2 tsp
cooked lean ham4 oz, 1 piece, thickly sliced, baked, diced
uncooked onion(s)1 medium, chopped
uncooked fennel bulb(s)1 item(s), small, cored and diced
orange bell pepper1 large, or red, diced
garlic clove(s)2 medium clove(s), minced
canned white beans15 ½ oz, (1 can), small, rinsed and drained
red wine vinegar2 Tbsp
fennel fronds1 Tbsp, chopped
table salt¼ tsp
black pepper¼ tsp
fresh baby spinach6 oz, (1 bag)
low-fat hard or semisoft cheese6 Tbsp, shredded, goat variety, crumbled
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add ham and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 1–2 minutes. Transfer ham to plate.
- Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to skillet. Add onion, fennel, and bell pepper. Cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are golden, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add beans and cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in vinegar, fennel fronds, salt, and black pepper.
- Divide spinach evenly among 6 plates. Top evenly with bean mixture, goat cheese, and ham.
- Serving size: 1 cup spinach, about ¾ cup bean mixture, 1 tablespoon cheese, and about 2 tablespoons ham